If you are looking for a light and healthy chicken salad then you found it. This Chicken Basil Salad has a good amount of vegetables and can be eaten without bread.
Since the first time I made this recipe, it has become a family favorite. Its simple to make and can be served as a salad with a lot of lettuce or it can be made into a delicious wrap sandwich.
You will need:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons light salad dressing, I used light Italian dressing this time
- 2 cups lettuce, chopped *
* You can skip the lettuce and make it into a wrap sandwich. You can use romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce, or even a lettuce salad mix.
In a bowl, add the celery, red pepper, basil, green onion, and lettuce. If you want to make it into a wrap, as I said earlier, don’t add the lettuce.
Add the chopped chicken. You can buy the pre-cooked chicken breast, or you can cook it like I did.
I cooked a chicken breast in olive oil and green onion, and seasoned it with a little nutmeg, salt and pepper. Then I let it cool down completely before adding it to the chicken basil salad.
Add the salad dressing of choice. You can use mayonnaise, ranch, mayonnaise and mustard, any dressing you like. This time i used Light Italian dressing.
If you like, you can even make your own dressing by mixing lemon juice, olive oil, a tiny garlic clove, a shallot, salt and pepper. But of course, if u don’t have time on hand its the easiest to just get ready made ones.
Mix everything well, and serve.
Happy cooking, and as we say in Arabic “Sahha Wi Afia”