This is the basic kofta mix. Kofta is the Middle Eastern Meatloaf. Usually we use minced lamb meat in it but I have tried it with beef and its just as good. So feel free to choose which ever type of meat you prefer.
In Palestine, we have many ways of using this basic mix. It is used in main courses like Kofta with Tomato and Potato and Kofta with Tahini or made into small meatballs and used in soups. It can be barbecued and made into sandwiches. The recipes are endless and the flavor is different with every sauce used.
I will be posting many kofta recipes and they all will start here.
You will need:
- 2 lb minced meat, about 1 kg *
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped, around 1 onion.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander, chopped , this is optional **
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- salt and pepper, to taste
* As I mentioned earlier, usually we use lamb. Sometimes we use half minced lamb and half beef. Or you can use only beef. Don’t worry it will taste just as good.
** The coriander is optional here. It adds to the flavors but isn’t necessary. I like to add it but if you don’t have it available just skip it.
Here is all the main ingredients. Minced meat, parsley, onion and garlic.
Add everything to the minced meat including the spices and salt.
Mix it well using your hands. That’s the best utensil in my opinion. Mix until its all well blended.
That’s it, the mix is ready to be used in any way you like.
Check out the :
Happy cooking, and as we say in Arabic “Sahha Wi Afia”